Friday, December 27, 2013

Ultrasound

I'm sitting at work on a Friday (which I normally don't do... but with the holidays, and no paid time off, I'm here), and I figured I would give you my ultrasound update while I finish my lunch.  I started by catching up on my blog list- I had **8** new blog posts to read just since last night!!  I love it when that happens!!

Adi wrote a lovely post about her week, including pictures of the flowers I sent to her.  I'm glad they turned out so beautiful and that she enjoyed them.

Anyway, here's what you really want..... ULTRASOUND PICTURES!!!


My little "gummy bear"
I had my ultrasound and first prenatal appointment a week ago.  My husband took the day off of work, so he was able to come with me :D  I had called the clinic earlier in the week asking if I needed a full bladder for the ultrasound.  The receptionist on the phone (who was very short with me, and soooo not pleasant) said no, and no, I didn't need to bring anything with me to the appointment.  So once I get called back at the clinic, the Medical Assistant asked, "so, are you able to give me a urine sample?"  **Facepalm**  Why couldn't the receptionist have told me I was going to need to pee in (yet another) cup????  I of course had peed 20 minutes prior to this point, right before leaving my house.  Oy.  She told me I could do it after my appointment.  She then weighed me... I was SOOOOOO happy!!  I have been telling myself that I'd like to be under 200 pounds before getting pregnant- I was 200.6 in early October when I first came to the clinic, and was 192 last week!!!  I was super excited!

So, after getting my blood drawn, I was shown into the ultrasound room, told to strip from the waist down (except I left my lucky socks from Adi on), and proceeded to cover myself with the totally ineffective paper blanket.  I always feel like my ass is totally hanging out.  The NP came in the room (one thing I really like about this clinic- the NPs do the ultrasounds, so there's no waiting for the MD to read it and tell you what's going on).  I told her, "The sooner you can show me the heartbeat, the better."  Less than 60 seconds later, there it was, flickering away on the screen.  I started to giggle like a little school girl.  She turned on the sound and it was the most beautiful thing I've ever heard!!  I was technically 7w4d at the appointment (even though I **KNOW** when this baby was conceived, they still use LMP to calculate gestational age), so I had been counting three days ahead of what they are using.

After the ultrasound, she had to do the pap smear, the chlamydia and gonorrhea swab (a mandate in Minnesota), and one other thing.  Usually I do ok with the speculum,  but HOLY CRAP was it uncomfortable!!  It wasn't quite as bad as the SIS, but it was close!!  I wanted to cry!

After that totally uncomfortable experience, I got dressed and we went to an exam room where the NP went over all of their handouts, told me I didn't have to take my Metformin anymore (YAY!!!), and made a point to tell my husband that we can still have sex :P  I asked about a home birth (I'm not totally sure about that yet, but it's still an option in my book)- she told me I would have to find a midwife, but that she didn't see any reason why I couldn't pursue it. I was desperately trying to drink as much water as I could while we were in there so that I could provide my sample.  It finally worked (after 15 minutes in the bathroom trying every trick I knew to put pressure on my bladder), and we set up our next appointment, which will be January 14th with my doctor.

I'm feeling pretty good still- boobs are still killing me, and the cramping comes and goes, but I really haven't had any "morning" sickness (I know, you all hate me now).  My appetite has been pretty good- I don't eat as much at meals, but I can still keep it down.  I really hope that I start "showing" soon, even if it's just enough for me and hubby to see (I have a nice little roll of tummy that the baby has to catch up with before I really start showing).

Ok, this is a really long post- congratulations if you made it this far!!  I'll write a post about telling the rest of our family and friends either tonight or tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. TOTALLY looks like a little gummy bear! Aww :) Glad you had a good appointment, and I hope the next one is even better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catching up on reading.... So happy you heard a heartbeat! What a great appointment that must have been!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad your first appointment went well! Continued prayers for you and the gummy bear :)

    ReplyDelete